fredag 29. mai 2009

A minute to "charge"



These days I really don’t have time to blog. I have two dead-lines in a few days, and it feels like I don’t have time for anything else. Yet, I have to breathe (in rhythmic repetitions that my body approves) and have to keep my eyes open. I should try to deny the sounds of the birds outside the window – but I can't. Even if my eyes are mostly busy with the screen, I still give them a minute (or two) to charge… through my aesthetic attention.

Here is what I observed during a minute of such attention: all of these flowers would fit in the category “pink orchid”, and still all of them are so different in size, shape, nuances, patterns, details…

“And so, we examine our dreams. What do we value mostly in ourselves? What do we want to become? We try to have a glimpse of the riches that life has to offer us: to hear more, see more, perceive more, feel more – an aesthetic experience which touches the subtleties and beauty beyond the simple boxes of numbers and other useful categories” (Bresler, L. 1991).

Fortunately, our senses do not just get numb by becoming a researcher. On contrary, we need them more than ever!

Reference: Stake, R., Bresler, L. and Mabry, L. (1991): Custom and Cherishing: The Arts in Elementary Schools, Urbana

Ingen kommentarer: