søndag 22. mars 2009

Tacit knowledge in my feet

Some weeks ago I was invited to join a small group of people that share interest in dancing to folklore music from Balkan. Some of them have been dancing for 30 years - almost as many years as I have not been dancing…

They had collections of CD-s with mixture of melodies from Greece, Bulgaria, Romania …and those “new countries” from Balkan. I joined the circle and tried to follow the directions the ring was moving. But there was much more than directions to take care of: there were jumps with changing frequency, different steps, claps and even turning round and shouting. I tried the best I could at least not to move in opposite direction or crush with someone.

After about an hour, when another unfamiliar melody started, to my surprise I suddenly felt like I could dance - as if my feet suddenly understood what they were supposed to do! “It seems like I’ve learned something today”, I thought proudly. But when the next dance started I was as uncoordinated as I was at the beginning… What happened?

After a closer analyse of the music I was able to dance to (and reading on the CD-cover), I realized that the it was from Macedonia – which once was a part of my home country Yugoslavia. (Yugoslavia - which even non-existing still is the place I grew up, had friends of different nationalities and learned dances from different geographical parts – you can probably read the nostalgic tone between the lines…) I didn’t consciously recognize the music or the moves, but my body did. May be the knowledge was in my ears? Or it had been stored in my feet… for 28 years…

Ingen kommentarer: