mandag 2. mars 2009

A Princess with Thousand Pockets


A friend of mine asked me to make a dress for her. I invited her to my house to discussed colours, materials and design for her dress. She made a drawing to show the design and details she wanted.

As you can see on the drawing, there are two round pockets in a darker textile, one on each side of the stomach. And where the stomach is, you can easily see through the dress –the stomach is the organic circular form with the spot that indicates navel. The other, larger form on the stomach outlines the third pocket which is to be placed there – on the stomach. The purpose of drawing the stomach was actually to show where the pocket should be placed. This pocket was, of course very important. As you know Cinderella had such a pocket on her dress for housework!

But Cindarella also had some nicer dresses when she became a princess… My friend suggested a collar with “royal design”, the one that goes strait up on the back of the neck – the type you often see on princesses and queens (at least princesses in fairytales used to wear them). So, we’ve got all in one: the same garment was a dress for housework and a ball dress. Wasn’t this really a wonderful idea for a functional design? Besides the three pockets, my friend wanted some more décor along the dress’ edge. She drew different forms, we discussed them and chose a repetition of the triangular form. At the image of the finished dress, you can see how these triangles are placed. But I must admit that she was not completely satisfied with my solution here. I had not realized that these triangles were supposed to be pockets! How stupid of me….

My imagination didn’t have a chance when compared with imagination of someone who is 4,5 year old…

Ingen kommentarer: